How do I redownload and/or re-activate the software
- If you purchased from the Makayama website, you may re-download the (upgraded) software from your account,
using your order reference number (not the activation key).
The order reference number was sent by email to you when you first purchased the software.
Click here to login to your account:
- Activation keys
may expire. If
you need a new activation key, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
and include your order data (your original order details). After verification, we send you the new activation
key (usually within 24 hours).
||Copy protection error - The read failed because the sector is encrypted
Legislation in your country prevents the transfer of copy-protected DVDs, even for personal use. Therefore, this
feature has been disabled. Unprotected DVDs, such as most DVD containing TV-series, or DVD
recordables/rewritables may still be converted.
- If you have used third-party tools to decrypt the DVD, such as DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter, you may open the DVD from the harddrive. Start Media Studio for Nokia®, select DVD and then Open and browse to the disk drive that contains the movie. For example C:\My Movie. Open that folder and the software will treat it as a normal DVD.
- If you have no sound at all when you convert a DVD, press the Advanced button. Then click Next 3 times. Then choose a different sound track in the second listbox. For example choose AC3 instead of DTS. Or LPCM instead of AC3.
- If you have a wrong soundtrack/language when you convert a DVD, press the Advanced button. Then click Next 3 times. Then choose a different sound track/language in the second listbox.
- Sound level is too low. When you use a self-recorded disc (DVD r/w), make sure that the backup software that you use has the ability to boost the volume to a higher level. Some burning software sets the volume too low.
- If you try to convert a video file from the harddisk (not a DVD) and have no sound after converting, it's possible that the source video contains unsupported codecs. The software converts most AVI, MPEG and DV video files, however, there are video files that use non-standard file formats and compression techniques (so called 'codecs'), which our software does not natively support. Use other tools, often freely available, to convert your video to a compatible format (such as DV or MPEG) before you convert it with Media Studio for Nokia®.
||Can't convert a DVD disc. Software stops, crashes or gives an error.
- A new feature in version 4.0 is 'Safe Mode'. This makes DVD conversions more reliable. It allows you to convert DVDs in the original chapters of 20 minutes, which results in less conversion errors. If you have trouble converting a certain disc, for whatever reason, you should try Safe Mode. Go to the Options Menu and choose Safe Mode \ On , then convert the DVD.
- Your disc may be copyprotected. If you have trouble converting a DVD directly with Media Studio, we advice you to use DVD Decrypter to make a local hard drive copy first. This (free) third-party tool decrypts the DVD and saves it to the harddrive. You may then open the DVD from the harddrive. Start Media Studio, select DVD Content , press Open and browse to the disk drive that contains the movie. For example C:\DVD_Volume. Open that folder and the software will treat it as a normal DVD. Press Action to start converting.
||Step 1 doesn't complete, it hangs. Or it gives a 'cyclic redundancy' error.
- Your DVD disc may be damaged, dirty or scratched. Please clean them, or try different discs.
- You may be using a low-quality DVD r(w) disc. These usually have more sector read errors. Use major brand DVDs as much as possible.
- Your DVD drive may be less compatible. Some DVD drives are better for copying discs then others. For example NEC drives are known to be more problematic. If you have a second DVD drve in your PC, try that one with the same disc.
- The disc has a new form of copyprotection that our software doesn't support.
I receive a ‘Nokia® Media Studio has encountered an error and has to
shut down' error.
Another software or driver installed on your PC is interfering and causing a conflict. Please contact
email@example.com and you
will receive instructions how to solve this.
Error message: "No DVD decoder installed"
black bars on top and bottom when I play a movie on my Nokia®.
- Nokia® screens and a movie theater screen aren't the same shape. Movie
screens are much wider. Today, films generally come in one of two basic
widescreen sizes (called aspect ratios): 'Academy Standard' (aspect ratio
1.85:1), and 'Anamorphic Scope' (aspect ratio 2.35:1). Films in 'Academy'
are widescreen (like English Patient, Toy Story or Silence of the Lambs),
but do not appear quite as wide as Scope films (like Star Wars, Lawrence
of Arabia, or Apollo 13). Pocket PC screens and TVs have a (1.33:1) aspect
- To display a movie in a zoomed mode, cropping the picture from left
and right, choose Zoom in the Advanced Settings. This will blowup the
picture and remove the black stripes.
- To display a movie or tv-show in its original aspect ratio, without
zooming or squashing, choose Show All when asked.
- If your original is a Cinemascope (extra widescreen) DVD,
choose Cinemascope, as trhe original size
My DVD holds
multiple episodes, such as tv-shows, but only one gets converted.
- Most DVDs have the episodes on the disc as several titles. You can convert those seperately.
- After opening the DVD, click on Advanced and press Next three times. In the upper listbox, a default episode is chosen (called Video Title Set), change this
to the episode you would like to see. Then press Next again and then Action.
- Some producers put several tv-shows on a disc as different chapters, not as seperate titles. In this case the episodes can only be converted as one big video, not seperately.
||After I press
'Action', nothing happens.
- Restart your PC completely (turn power OFF and then ON again)
- Check if the temporary disk is set to the largest disk drive Choose the drive from the DVD Settings menu
- If you're using subtitles, make sure that you see the preview running
in the onscreen Nokia® before you press Action.
|| I'm getting
a 'Disk Full' message
- You need
at least 4 Gigabyte of free space on your temporary disk drive. Choose
the drive from the DVD Settings menu. Delete unused files if you don't
have enough free space left.
||Can't install the software
unzip the package to your DESKTOP, then install. Don't use some temporary
directory and don't launch it from within Winzip.
- Make sure
you have Windows XP
- Make sure
you have a C:\ disk
- Make sure
you have the latest Winzip version from www.winzip.com
- Don't break
off the installation too early.Don't press 'cancel' at any time during
the process. Wait for all items and installation windows to disappear
from your screen, this may take up to 2 minutes.
||Norton or Firewall software reports Nokia® Media Studio accesing the internet. Are
you sending information about me or my PC back to your company?
seeks access to the Internet on the following occasions:
- To activate the serialnumber on first startup
- From the
Help Menu to display the online manual
- From the
Help Menu to display this online error database
- From the
Buy Menu to connect to the Makayama Store
- From the
Help Menu\About to connect to the Makayama website.
firewall alerts are false. Our software does NOT connect to the internet
to store or process information about your system, your personal data,
your video files or DVDs.
to convert an AVI-, MPEG or DV-video file from my harddrive, but it won't convert, it crashes, or it has no
- The software converts most AVI, MPEG
and DV video files, however, there are video files that use non-standard
file formats and compression techniques (so called 'codecs'), which our
software does not natively support. Try downloading a codec package, such
as the K-Lite
Codecs, to extend the media subsystem of your PC with many exotic codecs.
||I cannot activate my serialnumber, the software cannot connect to the
Five possible causes:
1) You have no active internet
connection. Make sure you can browse to
websites etc. using Internet explorer
- On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
- On the Security tab, click Internet.
- Click Default Level, and then click OK.
3) Security levels too high. Open Internet Explorer.
- On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
- On the Security tab, click Internet, and then click Custom Level.
- Under Active scripting, click Enable or Prompt.
- Click OK, and then click Yes.
- Click OK.
4) You have a firewall. Turn it off during the activation
5) You're in China. Chinese government
sometimes blocks access to our
server. There's nothing we can do
||Does your software
work on Windows 2000?
- If you
have a software DVD player on your Windows 2000 machine (like WinDVD
or PowerDVD) and if you can succesfully play DVD's on your PC, then
you should also be able to convert DVD's to your Nokia® with our software.
||Where do I find free movies on the internet?
There is lots of of free content
on the internet, which can be downloaded and converted to play on your
Nokia®. For example, check out these cool websites
- You see
to be missing a file that is normally part of Windows XP
please download the file (click
here) and unzip it to your c:\windows directory
||When I choose subtitles, the conversion is very slow
- Subtitles need to be rendered in the video file, this is a time-consuming
process. When no subtitles are chosen, the first step can go much faster.
||My DVD won't open, it's not recognised
- Restart your PC (cold boot) and try again
- Make sure you use a factory DVD, not a DVD-R(w)
- Clean your DVD disc
||Error Message: this video has unsupported codecs
- Video files can contain many sorts of compression. Most of these are supported, some are not.
The only workaround is to use a third-party application (for example Pinnacle Studio, or widely available shareware/freeware tools) to convert the source file to standard MPEG and then use our software to convert it to the Nokia®
The Username and Serial Number don't work.
- Make sure, that when you enter the user name and serial number from the voucher, there are no spaces 'sticking' at the end.
The spaces cause the serial number to be refused. Remove the spaces before
entering the numbers in the registration window.
For example, enter: "123", not "123 "..
- Usernames and Serialnumbers may expire after the promotion has ended. Info about the duration of the promotion can be found on the Nokia® website where you downloaded the software.
||Playback problem: How do I fast-forward a movie to the point where I left it off
- If you use the Makayama Media Player, you have two options:
- 'Start At' allows you to quickly jump to any timecode in the video. For example, if you watched the 65 minutes of a movie and had to quit playback, you can jump to the 65th minute in the movie with this option and the player will resume from that point in the film. The notation is in hours:minutes:seconds. So in order to jump to he 65th minute, you would have to enter 01.05.00 and press Select.
- Clicking the navigation button during playback, will bring up a number of controls on the screen. Fast forward is the last button on the right.
- If you use the Real Player, you can use the navigation keys (a.k.a. joystick) to fast forward or rewind the movie. Up is fast forward and Down is rewind. You cannot do this with the Nokia® video player on Series 40 phones .
||How do I install the Makayama MediaPlayer on my phone?
- Via Nokia® PC Suite. Connect your phone to the PC and start Nokia® PC Suite. In Windows Explorer, double-click the .SIS file. Nokia® Application Installer installs the application to your phone.
- Via Bluetooth. Send the SIS file from your PC to your phone via Bluetooth. It will arrive in the Inbox. Open the message and the phone will ask you to install it.
- Via memorycard. Copy the SIS file to your memorycard. Go to the Main Menu of your phone and then to the File Manager. On a Series 80 phone, you choose Office \ File Manager. Browse to the SIS file on the card and click it. It will be automatically installed. On a Series 60 phone, go to the Main Menu and then Tools \ File Manager.
||How do I transfer a converted video to my phone?
The Manual, section 9, has a detailed description.
||Error: 'No DVD Disc', but the disc is in.
- Restart your PC, turn it OFF and ON, that usually solves it
- Check your disc for scratches and dirt. Clean it.
||My problem is not in this list
- Contact tech support and provide your username and serial number (mail support is for registered users only). Mail a detailed description of your problem. Describe possible error messages you're getting.